Friday, May 31, 2013

Modernism at Cal

Cesar Chavez Student Center
Photo ©Darren Bradley

Berkeley is essentially the opposite of everything that UCSD represents in terms of architecture.  The campus has an extensive heritage of historical buildings dating back to the second half of the 19th century. I didn't take any photos of those. 

But there are a few nice examples of modernism at the school. The Cesar E. Chavez Student Services Center is my favorite:


The Chavez Center was designed by the architecture team of Hardison & DeMars, and completed in 1961. 

Some people refer to it as "The Flying Nun".
The Golden Bear

I particularly appreciate the mix of textures and forms - between the shadow block, the wood, and the thin shell concrete roofline... I'm a sucker for drama in architecture, I guess.
cal2







3 comments:

Event Tents Dubai said...

I particularly appreciate the mix of textures and forms - between the shadow block, the wood, and the thin shell concrete roofline... I'm a sucker for drama in architecture, I guess. كم اسعار الخيام الاوروبية | اسعار الخيام الاوروبية

Anonymous said...

like it Dolabuy Chloe i was reading this replica gucci bags this post Dolabuy Gucci

taseesea said...

r7q88j2o95 u4r61h1v87 d6h20h8n22 v0f49v9j84 t2p97t5i25 e5b22k8y48